Thursday, 13 November 2014

My wedding cake

The first time I made a wedding cake was for my wedding back in September 2012, I was scared but we couldn't afford to pay someone to make our wedding cake.  I went down to my aunts in Dorset and we made the fruit cake to an old family recipe in her arga.  Talked to my other half and decided that all tiers would be fruit as I didn't want the stress on the run up to our wedding.  

I decided I wanted to make roses, so I spent ages practicing with plasticine, had trouble getting the colour to match my dark red scheme, but got there eventually.  Had my good friend Emily who also likes to decorate cakes come over for an evening and while we watched a film we made a shed load of roses.  The mistake I made was to put them all on wires which meant I could cascade them down each of the tiers, so I gathered them into bunches and put them on each layer.  I spoke to my florist who did me a small arrangement for the top which matched my bridesmaids bouquet.  

Overall I learnt a lot and was happy with the final result and had a lot of compliments on the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment