Friday, 9 January 2015

Christmas 2014

First of all happy new year, I hope you had a good break.

For Christmas each year I normally make cake for myself and one for my mum, however this year I was a little disorganised, usually I make the cake in September so I have a few months feeding it with brandy, but circumstances wouldn't allow that, but I was determined that I would still make my cake and not buy it.

It is a rich fruit cake recipe which I got from Heather, who is my aunt, she has been using this recipe for years, it is also the recipe we used when making my wedding cake.  This year I thought I would have a go at making my own fondant, so I decided to make marshmallow fondant, not sure I would ever do it again as I found it a lot of hard work, even harder to colour, but when on the cake with the marzipan it tasted lovely.  It's not as sweet as shop bought fondant so it may be worth another try and see if it gets any easier.

For the decorations this year I wanted something a little fun as we had my step daughter Alice with us, so I made a Santa/Father Christmas face.  This may sound strange but the hardest bit for me was getting the hat right, but happy with the overall finish.  For my mum she wanted something simple and asked me to use an old cake topper she had, so I went with simple silver snow flakes.  I hope you like them.



No comments:

Post a Comment